REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project
Assignment Title: Selection of national consultant – Seed Expert for impact assessment of the project interventions in the seed sub-sector
Reference No. AZ-AACD-241298-CS-INDV/B2-SE
The Government of Azerbaijan has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The project consists of four components:
- Component A - Support for sanitary and phytosanitary services, which is structured into three subcomponents: support: (i) Food Safety Capacity Building; (ii) Upgrading Plant Health and Phytosanitary System, and (iii) Animal Health and Veterinary Services.
- Component B - Agri-food value chain development. The Component helps to develop value chains by partially financing demand-driven investment proposals. It also supports activities for improving seed varieties and quality of seeds entering the market. The activities are structured into two sub-components: (i) Investment and advisory support for agribusiness value chain development, and (ii) Seed sector development.
- Component C - Financial services to agribusiness.
- Component D-Project Management.
Project activities under sub-component B2 are coordinated with the Agrarian Service Agency, the PMU Monitoring and Evaluation specialist.
The general objective
The objective of assignment is to assess the impact of Project investments in seed production, processing, testing and certification services, which have been supported within ACIP seed sector development sub-component.
Scope of works:
Under this assignment Consultant shall:
Part A: Support to Research and Variety Development Program
Part B: Support to Seed Production and Processing
Part C: Support to State Seed Testing and Certification Services
Part D: ISTA Accreditation and OECD Acceptance and Support to Private Seed Growers
- Hold consultations with counterparts and stakeholders on the subject;
- Work closely with other Consultant (economist) who will be also mobilized by ACIP;
Undertake other duties as might be required within the frame of the assignment
Expected outputs and deliverables:
- Provide report on results of impact assessment of upgrading grain quality lab, provision of new research equipment, as well as upgrading 6 Regional Experimental Support Stations to the National Research Institute for Crop Husbandry (NRICH);
- Prepare a report on impact and economic benefit of Project procured equipment to entire seed sector of Azerbaijan, as well as describe gaps and existing situation of Country’s seed sector after receiving Project support
- Provide analysis of the impact of increased seed certificates issued by 9 upgraded Seed Certification Centres
- Consultant will make presentation/workshop on his/her recommendations and discuss them with the ASA, PMU and all concerned parties.
- Working arrangements:
- The expert will have to conduct field visits and interview up to 20 private seed growers throughout the country to define the difference of reproductive seed quality processed in old and new equipment.
Duration of the assignment
It is estimated that a total input of 35 work/days will be required, deployed during the period of July-September, 2021. As required, the Consultant will visit rural areas to meet private seed growers and filed personnel of ASA and NRICH.
The shortlisting criteria are:
- Advanced university degree in agronomy (expert on seed system / variety testing and registration, seed processing, seed system regulations);
- Over ten years’ experience in the subject field(s)
- Previous experience with World Bank funded projects and understanding of its requirements is preferable
- Previous experience of working with other donor organisations will be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of Azerbaijani language
- Good command of written and spoken English and strong writing skills are an asset
- Sharing knowledge and experience, communicating ideas and managing information flow
- Good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office programs
The Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011 edition, revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interests.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultancy method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by July 13, 2021.
Agency for Agro Credit and Development under the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan/Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project
Attn: Mr. Anar Azimov
1965, Z.Bunyadov avenue, Chinar Park Business Center, AZ1075, Baku, Azerbaijan
Tel: (+99 412) 525 01 17
Further information can be obtained at the address above during office hours 09:00 - 18:00.