DEADLİNE EXTENSİON - EQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST_Selection of International Consultant for Seed quality control on international accreditation and ISTA compliance
DEADLİNE EXTENSİON - EQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST 29.09.2021
Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project
Assignment Title: Selection of International Consultant for Seed quality control on international accreditation and ISTA compliance. Reference No. AZ-AACD-250449-CS-INDV-B2/SC
The Government of Azerbaijan has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The project consists of three components:
- Component A - Support for sanitary and phytosanitary services, which is structured into three subcomponents: (i) Food Safety Capacity Building; (ii) Upgrading Plant Health and Phytosanitary System, and (iii) Animal Health and Veterinary Services.
- Component B - Agri-food value chain development. The Component helps to develop value chains by partially financing demand-driven investment proposals. It also supports activities for improving seed varieties and quality of seeds entering the market. The activities are structured into two sub-components: (i) Investment and advisory support for agribusiness value chain development, and (ii) Seed sector development.
- Component C - Financial services to agribusiness promotes growth of agribusiness/agro-food processing enterprises through a line of credit to enhance their competitiveness, increase production and improve technologies.
Project activities under sub-component B2 are coordinated with the Agrarian Service Agency, the PMU Monitoring and Evaluation specialist.
The general objective
The objective of assignment is to assess the impact of Project investments in seed production, processing, testing and certification services, which have been supported within ACIP seed sector development sub-component.
Scope of works:
- Review the current state of the seed certification system in Azerbaijan
- Assessment of central laboratories management experience and staff skills
- Conduct appropriate research and develop a Roadmap for the application of OECD schemes
- Identification of priority plants - study of the benefits and costs of OECD certification for different crops
- Development of recommendations for capacity building/training on ISTA requirements
- Developing of Roadmap for ISTA accreditation of the central laboratory, including guidelines for the application.
- Undertake other duties as might be required within the frame of the assignment.
Expected outputs and deliverables:
- Capacity development program for ASA in the field of seed sector ISTA and OECD accreditation. The capacity building program shall include recommendations on specific training topic required for accreditation
- Proposal on improvement of seed certification system in Azerbaijan
- Roadmap which will include Action plan and guidelines on application for obtaining ISTA and OECD accreditation/acceptance of Central Seed Testing Laboratory
- Consultant will make presentation/workshop on his/her recommendations and discuss them with the ASA, PMU and all concerned parties.
- Final Report reflecting recommendations on all above-mentioned, including analysis and recommendations.
Duration of the assignment
It is estimated that a total input of 30 work/days will be required, deployed in few missions on site during the period September 2021 – November, 2021. The first mission to Azerbaijan is scheduled for October 2021.
The shortlisting criteria are:
- Advanced university degree in agronomy (expert on seed system / variety testing and registration, seed processing, seed system regulations);
- Over ten years’ experience in the subject field(s)
- Previous experience with World Bank-funded projects and understanding of its requirements is preferable
- Previous experience of working in the region/country would be an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken English and strong writing skills;
- Working knowledge of Azerbaijani and/or Russian language is asset, but not a requirement
- Sharing knowledge and experience, communicating ideas and managing information flow;
- Good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office programs
The Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011 edition, revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interests.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultancy method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by October 04, 2021.
Agency for Agro Credit and Development under the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan/Agricultural Competitiveness Improvement Project
Attn: Mr. Anar Azimov
1965, Z.Bunyadov avenue, Chinar Park Business Center, AZ1075, Baku, Azerbaijan
Tel: (+99 412) 525 01 17
Further information can be obtained at the address above during office hours 09:00 - 18:00.